So I’ve been sick. We’re in the middle of something like the worst flu season in the history of man. Well I’m just happy to be a part of history.
With that, I’ve had a lot of downtime at home. I haven’t had a gig in a while either, so my creative systems are running low. Luckily, during the holiday’s I read up on how to utilize my 430 ex ii flash, off-camera. It isn’t the most professional of systems though because in order for it to work, the pop-up flash on my T3i has to be up. Of course, the best way to overcome the pop-up is to use a telephoto lens and zoom in on the subject. As an aside to that, I’ve been thinking a lot about macro photography. I don’t have a macro lens, but considering the potentials of the off-camera nature of the 430, and my sick days, I determined it was time for some experimenting…
I grabbed some Harry Potter Lego’s we had laying around (old gag gift) and a few sheets of paper to set up a staging area. I used my reflector to block any light that was seeping through a close window and turned off both computer monitors. Because I had the staging area on my desk, and the tripod was holding up the flash (no umbrella, I don’t own one yet), I had to hold the camera – not a huge issue for this experiment as I was using fast shutter speeds.
At first my thought was to just take pictures of the Lego characters themselves, but after I saw what the shadows were doing, I took it a step further. I had to shift the 430 further away to get a more dramatic lighting behind the characters. The end result was sharper than what I was getting at first, but still not 100% sharp. I’ll need to work on that more. The other end result was a short fight scene. Took me back to my younger days when playing with Lego’s was all in a day’s work.
Leave me some thoughts on this project. I plan on renting a macro lens in a couple of months, so I hope to do this again, hopefully with some better lighting.